The only sanctuary dedicated St. John the Baptist in Italy, this is in a dominant and open position looking towards Valle del Cervo.
Its current aspect is the result of work by generations of valley people, from the start of the 17th century down to the early decades of the 20th century, so it’s a landmark dear to all the local inhabitants. The church was built at the beginning of the 17th century on the site of an old votive chapel and was extended in the following century.
Inside there is a renaissance period wooden statue of St. John the Baptist in a niche carved out of the rock and some fine works by Fabrizio and Bernardino Galliari, two of the leading artists in 18th century Biella.
18th century additions include the rectory and other buildings providing hospitality: accommodation for pilgrims and a bar and restaurant, now renovated in the Albergo Ristorante Cadafé, the “house of fire”.
The sanctuary can be reached via the Panoramica Zegna road, which continues from Bielmonte towards Valle del Cervo, and is linked to the Oropa Sanctuary by an exciting and panoramic road built on the initiative of senator Rosazza (completed in 1897).